I met Dierk after arriving at the hotel, he was awaiting friends that were motorcycling up from South Africa. They arrived only the day before our Machame climb (De Vos, Jacques and Renier). We all were like minded, strong willed and relaxed AND WE ALL SUMMITTED!!!!!!!
I summitted at 06:42 on Monday morning Tanzania time, so around 23:32 on Sunday in Ottawa. I would have summitted much earlier, as I did not experience a single altitude side effect, I was actually in a full walking pace from Stella point (about 5700m above sea level) and left my group, I was sobbing, I had mucus running down my face, it was FREEZING. My water was frozen, the wind was horrible....But then the sun rose.
I felt in my heart and my mind all the desires I left with and all the will I had to summit, so I TOOK OFF. The assistant porter twice tried to restrain me, pulling on my back pack, but I told him to keep pace or get out of my way. I was sobbing, he thought I was ill, I pushed on, he kept up....Then it hit me.
I came all the way up the mountain with these guys, I will summit with them. I waited in the cold about 10-15 minutes, and Renier came along at a slow shuffle. I willed him on, held his walking poles, paced him about 10 meters at a time. He was suffering altitude sickness and the cold (-15 was very cold at that level, even for a Canadian). Then came Jacques, and Dierk.....1/2 hour later, De Vos (who was quite ill).....a bear of a man though. So I chose the fellowship of completing with great new friends over the solitude and personal satisfaction of finishing my quest. Obviously, what I did was far more rewarding. I wouldn't change a thing. The guys have been commenting on how much of a horse I was, and they said I had this ferocity in my eyes. Probably something Wendy, Kassy and Coralee have seen in my "Spin modes" and I know that Valerie has witnessed more than often my stubborn will and determination.
I made it, I did my Atlas pose at the peak and a special photo for Wendy. Yes I did in fact!!!! sit atop Kilimanjaro, and have the picture to prove it!
God bless.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

AMAZING! Congrats you must be so stoked! livin vicariously... descriptions a must. Lisa
ReplyDeleteCongrats George I'm proud of you, it's true, sometimes knowing that you are horse is more important than showing it off. Let others see it and know that you can lead the pack with your compassion. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteAndrew
Proud of you buddy !!
ReplyDeleteStay safe, tread litely.
Simply Awesome :) Can't wait to see the picture.
ReplyDeleteHEY GUBBSY:
ReplyDeleteGLAD YOU MADE IT !!!! ALWAYS THE COMPETITOR. THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE YOUR ASSENT, WE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED THAT YOU FORGOT TO STOP AT THE PEAK AND BARRELLED RIGHT DOWN THE OTHER SIDE.
GUBBSY GOES BONKERS ON MOUNT K.
WE'LL MISS YOU FOR THANKSGIVING, BUT DAN WILL HAVE AN EXTRA SLICE OF PUMPKIN PIE ON YOUR BEHALF (BURP!). CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ALL ABOUT THE EXPEDITION AND VIEW ALL THE PICS.
WILL WRITE AGAIN SOON....TAKE CARE
LOVE LISE AND DAN
Bruer Leka means "Great brothers" in Afrikaans....But I still think my swahili is better than my Afrikaans.
ReplyDeleteBefore I forget, Happy birthday Andrew, I got in too late last night to send an email, the bus from Moshi to Nairobi was crazy, I had a chicken for a seat mate and people were hanging out the windows....
Joking. It was a small bus, on an unpaved and bumpy road and I thought for sure the windows were going to rattle right out the vehicle. All I cared about was that I arrived safe, and I did. Northern tanzania was all desert, and the bus driver was throwing water bottles to kids blowing kisses to the bus, it was great. Crossing the border was NUTS, a masse of people....
Wow, you are amazing. I have been sick all week and unable to teach. You have brought tears to my eyes and an overwhelming swelling of pride inside me.(if that makes any sense). We shall celebrate in the spinning room when you return and on Sat, I will ride for you with all your songs!! Wait ago George, I am a better person for having you part of my spinning group..."your sitting on top of Kilimanjaro" lalalalala Travel Safe my friend.
ReplyDeleteWay to go George!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on such a hard, yet unique and fulfilling experience!
You're awesome George!!! I was so happy for you when Cor told me you had done it!! I look forward to pics and hearing about your travels when you get home!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete