Well, at the suggestion of friends I've created a BLOG. By no means should this be interpreted that I have been 'internet savvy', as my main skills remain emails and Music uploads! Honesty is policy.
Where should I start. I met Valerie Leger, my wonderful girlfriend on March 19, 2008. We had a Starbucks Date and I believe I mentioned it then, when asked something about something or I merely volunteered it as I am known to do that I had ambitions to travel to Africa for at least one month. From there it was always on the backburner of discussion. My mother met Valerie in December 2008. Shortly after the initial meet and greet, mum pressed Val with a simple question/statement (as is mum's way) "You're letting him GO to Africa, right?" Mum smiled awkwardly humming to herself, awaiting Val's response to a question (debatable still if a question, it was?) and of course Val was and always has been resoundingly supportive in my trip preparations. The departure in September will be a mix of selflessness (a trip I've always wanted for myself), selfishness (actually doing something for myself and leaving Val at home in Ottawa) and of course, excitement.
Trip is booked, and paid for. Despite Val's protests, I'd given myself most of my immunizations (save for Yellow Fever-had to have someone give me that one, for documentation purposes). Even had my wisdom teeth (2) removed so they don't act up in Africa.
Still gotta get my VISAS, some odds and ends I'll need for the trip that I haven't already picked up. Whatever vacation days I didn't get, I'll give away or try and trade....but those are just details.
September 28, 2009
From the train station here in Ottawa, I will be heading to the airport in Montreal for a flight to Amsterdam(KLM) and then on to Mt. Kilimanjaro airport in Arusha, Tanzania. I'll have about 1.5 days to acclimatize before I set out to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, which up and down the mountain.....summit to doorstep will be 8 days. I will be carrying a letter to my father up the mountain (with some hopes & dreams written in too) which I will burn in a campfire on the mountain top. I've invited siblings to write the same kind of letter. My letter will signify the physical feat of not only climbing the mountain but thumbing my nose to all that my dad and our family lost with what Multiple Sclerosis gave us.
From Kilimanjaro.......well there are just some things I'd rather do, and then write about...
George
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your last line made me cry (having one of those days)and my flatmate's mother just yesterday asked me the most amazing and straight forward question..."Does a child grieve for the physical abilities that a parent doesn't have?" incredible. A question that brought me to tears with a resounding "YES". She didn't realize the chord she had struck. Your trip is going to be amazing George, I'm still thinking about the letter but I think it is your thing, I'm just not there yet and don't think that a letter is my outlet. Fair enough right. I love you very much, look forward to your blog!
ReplyDeleteGrowing up we were all stronger and matured earlier what with everything we did just to function day to day at home. Never looked at is as something I was missing, rather accepted it for what it was. False bravado assuredly.
ReplyDeleteWe've all taken a bit out of our experiences. For me it's to live life the best I can day in day out, and point myself in the right direction.
Je t'aime beaucoup Jeannette et bonne chance avec toutes tes etudes.